Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Prayer Request and Making Friends

The last few days I haven't felt the best in my stomach. John and Esther Spurrier were here last night and John, who is a Doctor, mentioned that the doxycycline for malaria shouldn't be taken on an empty stomach...oops! I had been taking it at night on an empty stomach, so I am switching that today. I didn't take any last evening, and the pain in my stomach is gone, but I still feel some blahness and rumbling down there. Hopefully it will pass soon ... thanks for your prayers!

Yesterday a guy named Siggi, that my parents know stopped by here and was going to Sikalonga (an hour away) for the day. He asked if Matthew would like to ride along with him. Matt was eager, cause he really enjoyed his time with Dr. (Dwight) Thomas and some other folks from there - they allpicked us up from the airport. So later in the day I got a radio phone call from Dr. Thomas asking if Matt could stay till Thursday! They wanted him to go along with them on hike to a waterfall, and someone would be coming to Nahumba on Thursday and could bring him back. So, I miss our boy....it's different without him here, but I am sure he is having a great time. He didn't go with any extra clothes, but Dr. Thomas said he would fit in fine - they go for days without changing!

Last night we went to good friends of Mother and Dad's - Moses and Noria. What a sweet couple. Noria is so hospitable. Shortly after arriving, she comes in to greet us carrying 2 rugs that she made. They were gifts to us. Mine said "NICE" , which meant that it is so nice of me to have come to Zambia. Mother's said "FEEL FREE", which meant Mother and Dad should feel free to come again any time! Then she gave me a beautiful chitangi, royal blue with white daisies on it. It is a piece of material that the women here wear; they just wrap it around their waist and tuck it in...I think I will pin mine just to make sure I don't lose it! I love it and will enjoy wearing it. I have been living in my denim jumper so it will be nice to wear something different, and the ladies like when we wear chitangis like them! We had a nice evening - Moses is an evangelist; he used to be the farm manager here at Nahumba when my parents first came, so they know Moses and Noria very well.

Today Mother and I walked up to an older couple who has lived here for over 20 years. With just 2 very small rooms in their home, and a hut outside for their kitchen, their 4 grandsons are living with them. He is the night watchman here for Nahumba. What a precious, humble couple. I took some clothes, socks, soap and lotion to give to them and they were so grateful, so humbled and couldn't find the words to express their appreciation. The day before Mother had ordered some fritters from her, that she makes, and we went to pick them up. When she gave them to us, she would not take anymoney. This was so hard - not to pay for them. She insisted that this is her gift to us. Amazing. Rare. They ask for nothing. They do not understand English, but fortunately their nephew was there and interpreted for us, so we had a wonderful visit, and I prayed before we left. As Mother and I walked home, we talked and cried - so humbled by their contentment in the Lord, their joy and humility. Gives new meaning to the word "rich."

No comments: