Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Catching Up

Well, it sure feels strange posting on this blog from my home computer. I can't help imagining my Dad sitting at the computer in Nahumba right now, where I used to write these posts from. As I work my kitchen, I continually picture the kitchen in Nahumba, where my Mother and I so often worked together, and where Emma often helped wash the dishes, baked bread, and washed our clothes. I even had to stop and think where my spices were the other day! I am slowly adjusting to home life, but my mind so often wanders to the dear Zambian people I quickly came to love. My mind often goes to what their life is like, and I'm not very motivated to buy things right now. I wish I would remain that way, but I know myself too well, and fear that the impact of their meager way of living will fade all too soon as I become a true American once again, consuming more than I need. I hope and pray there will be lasting changes; we'll see.

I wanted to share a funny story with you.....Monday morning I woke up a little before 5 AM (an hour before my alarm ) and I thought I heard Matt, which is quite early for him...for those of you who know how hard it can be to get him up in the morning....anyway, he walked out in the hall, was wide awake and looking perky. He looked at me inquisitively and asked, "Is there any reason why I am so wide awake so early?!" I laughed and said, "Yep - your body is saying you should be awake...it's almost lunch time in Nahumba!" Welcome to what they call "jet lag"! By today, it wasn't as early, and we are slowly getting adjusted to America-time once again.

I haven't had time to get my pictures organized or even on my computer yet, but hopefully in a few days I will be able to put some on.

I heard from my parents and they are doing well. I made some extra baked oatmeal (my Dad's favorite) and freezed it so they could have it for a few weeks. They are enjoying it and will soon be heading into their last 2 weeks in Nahumba, which is hard to believe.

That's all for now...not that life is boring in the burg; it's just not stuff you all would be interested in! So many of you from church commented on how much you enjoyed the blog. Thanks for participating in this wonderful season of our lives. I'm glad you could share it with us, even in the comfort of your own home! I will never forget my wonderful experience in Zambia and I have all these posts to remind me...thanks again Sarah!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dear Beth,
Thank you so much for including us in on some of your "debriefing" or whatever you call coming home again to an entirely different environment. I'll be praying for you, Matt & Ken as you all make the adjustments needed. I would love to come join your group(s) if I'm available when you're ready to share more about your trip, whether it be a ladies group or church service or whatever.
Hope to see you sometime soon,
Love,
Jan