Thursday, September 13, 2007

Final Night in Zambia

Greetings for the last time from Zambia! My next post will most likely be from South Africa, as long as we can get internet access.

First of all, I want to let you know that Mother has been doing much better the second half of the day. She is pretty much back to herself, although she has been a little teary today as the reality of us leaving is evident with an almost empty bedroom! We thank the Lord for the strength she is regaining.

What a fully packed day we had! Dad and Ken visited with Enock Shamapani in the morning, while Emma and I did our final loads of wash. Then later in the morning, I visited the compound, saying my good byes and handing out some final items to the pastor's family. There were 3 little girls, all from different families, that I bought dresses for, and today I delivered them - what a joy to see their faces light up in appreciation! Upon saying good bye, I was moved to tears quite a few times by the love expressed by these dear people.

This afternon, I assisted a 5th grade teacher for an hour and a half. He asked me to read to the class and I chose a book entitled "The Wise Decision". It felt a bit risky, not knowing anything the book was about, but as it turned out, it was a perfect choice! The Lord's hand guided me on such a good path and I thank him for his presence, even in little choices like picking out a story to read to a class! As it turns out, it was a great book about sexual purity, temptations, resisting peer pressure, AIDS, and abstinence. I was able to have a very candid discussion with the 15 students about these topics and they participated very well. We talked about fearing God, not just a disease, and we talked about having boldness to say "no" to sex, especially to get money. Having seen how many are affected by AIDS over here, has increased my passion to get the word out to the young people on sexual purity, and it was so fulfilling to have this opportunity on my last day...thank you Lord! We handed out quite a few of Randy Alcorn's book, "The Purity Principle", to folks here, so it is good to know that material is getting out (Thanks to Ken!).

After class was over, I was talking with a few of the students, and I thanked one young man, Brave, for his participation in class. I sensed a call upon this young man, to be a leader and influence for good among his friends, and told him that I belive God was going to use him as a godly example. I encouraged him to be bold and take a stand for righteousness. He thanked me and said that he has wanted to be a pastor for many years! That led to a time of encouraging him in his desires and gave me another person to put on my "Zambia prayer list", which has been growing every day!

Given blessed Matthew with a shirt and matching cap, that he also bought for himself and his nephew, who works with him. It was a kind expression of Given's appreciation to Matthew for helping him do some work while he was here; how thoughtful!

Moses and Noria, a dear couple that I have mentioned earlier, walked quite a few miles to say to good bye to us, knowing it was our last day. She came with yet another gift to me....she had given me some gifts the first time I met her! Moments like these, one does not have adequate words to say thank you.....

Emma presented me with a Chitangi tonight. She doesn't have much and to give anything is such a sacrifice....I love that gal!

This evening, we had the wonderful privilege of having dinner at Maudy and Guyden Makini...I have mentioned them in the past...they have nine children and he is the Headmaster at Nahumba Basic School. What a lovely evening, with cabbage, rice, Nshima, beef, and Mother's yummy mashed potatoes. Before we left, Maudy surprised me with the most gracious gift, and one that was hard to receive! The last time we were at their home for a meal (when Doug, Dar, Mindy and Brent were here), she wore a lovely chitangi outfit. We all commented on it's beauty and took pictures of her wearing it! Well, she handed the whole thing to me tonight as her gift to me! What generosity, what love, what kindness.....that's the kind of people I am leaving...that's the kind of people that I have come to love here in Nahumba. The list could go on and on...

We fly to South Africa early afternoon Friday and will remain there for a week. Given is driving us, and I think Emma is going along, so we will have a full vehicle as we ride our final bumpy ride to Livingstone. What a wonderful time this has been. Stay tuned for further updates from South Africa.

And to our dear friends and family...it won't be long! Yeah!!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Beth,
Thank you sooooo very much for your journaling and informative writings of the happenings in Zambia. It was a blessing for me to hear from you and to share in your day to day events. Also, it was so helpful to know how to pray. I would love to be able to attend meetings or services when you and Ken and Matt are ready to share more back home. I will pray for safe travels for your last days in Africa. It is great you have Ken to accompany you this time:)
Love,
Jan

Karen said...

Wow! Sounds like the people of Nahumba are lovely. I'll be praying for safe travels as you all head back home. Looking back through your blog...I just wanted to comment that I love the pictures of the waterfalls, animals, rainbows, safari, etc. Your updates are touching and thanks again to Sarah for posting the updates. Our church supports the Kolonda Community. Kolonda is north of Livingstone approx 100 miles. Just an interesting tid bit to share!
~Karen Good

Anonymous said...

So many times I've been moved to tears by your post. How special to both give and receive such love. To be a Chriatian and experience the love of God is beyond measure. To receive and give that love in return is a special blessing. May your full heart continue to "spill-out" on all who touch your life. So glad you will be back in the US soon.
Love~Beejee