Friday, September 28, 2007

Sorting and Settling In

As I had expected, it has been more of an adjustment getting used to life on this side of our trip! It's wonderful to be home with family and friends, but I feel somewhat scattered in my life these days and there are times when my heart longs for the slow paced life of Zambia, where deadlines are rare, appointments are few, conversations are unhurried, walks are regular and waiting is expected and natural...and even enjoyed (most of the time!)

Don't get me wrong - I am glad to be home! I also loved Zambia, though, and I guess I was there long enough to appreciate their way of living, that does not come close to the proverbial "rat race"! So if you can't find me, don't worry - I'm just somewhere trying to slow down a bit, and I will return shortly! (Just kidding - I am a homeschooling mom and I couldn't really escape if I wanted to!)

I have been trying to sort through our many pictures, choosing the best ones to be shown after church this coming Sunday at our fellowship meal. Fortunately the guy doing it upped the number from 30 to closer to 100 - that works for me! It has been fun seeing the pictures and reliving some of our wonderful experiences. As I pass over the many pictures of people, I have had to pause and offer up prayers for them, praying that God will encourage their hearts as they endure the many hardships and challenges of their lives. At the same time, I recall that so many of them trust in the Lord for their daily bread and for daily strength, and that brings joy to my heart as I think about them.

My parents are doing pretty well, but as the time draws nearer for my mother to leave, please pray for her. As much as she loves her family, when she is there in Nahumba, she feels at home and loves it, and finds it hard to leave. Having been there, I now have a little understanding of her emotions and the pull at her heart. They are having some folks in for dinner over the next few weeks. Emma went to Lusaka for her son's graduation from college this week.

Here are some pictures that I took during our final days in Nahumba ...
Sunrise in Nahumba
Emma and me

Maudie gave me this chitangi dress the night before we left

A final hug with Given at the airport

No comments: