Saturday, July 7, 2007

Another Update

Friday was spent at Sikalonga, a small mission in a rural setting, owned by the Zambian BIC church. It was started by the states in 1920. Centered around a Secondary School, a Primary School, a medical clinic and a church, it serves neighboring villages. Some primary students would walk up to 5-6 miles a day to get to the shool, while 95% of the Secondary students board in dormitories (triple bunks lined up in a large room with nothing else in the room). Outhouses are lined up outside the school, marked with "boys" or "girls". Patients for the medical clinic can be found walking as many as 6-7 miles to get medical care here. When my parents lived there, my Dad would frequently pick up folks walking the dusty road back to the clinic, sometimes in great pain, but the pain tolerance here is quite high. A
little 6 year old girl seen this week at the clinic was treated for fire burns over much of her body, due to standing too close to the fire to stay warm. When her clothes caught on fire, her parents did not know what to do (we take the simple lessons of Stop, Drop, Roll for granted), so as they started to try to take her clothes off, it just spread and she suffered many burns. The nurse caring for her was amazed at the strength of this little girl. With no anesthesia, she bravely endured the treatment, not screaming or crying...only wincing. As in Macha, her family will remain with her until she is done wtih treatment, staying warm by the outside fires and helping with her immediated care.

Dr. Dwight and Carol Thomas, from E-town, PA, are living in Sikalonga, and they were gracious with their hospitality as they served us a wonderful lunch. For a number of years, they have come to serve at Sikalonga during the summer months. Dr. Thomas is a professor of music at Messiah College during the school year. This is also where Matthew stayed last week, along with a few former graduates from Messiah College. We are returning to Sikalonga Sunday morning (when Doug will speak to the Secondary students in their morning service), so Matthew was invited to stay with them till Sunday...they have enjoyed his company and he was excited to stay with them. This time we knew ahead of time, so he was able to take a few clothes along
with him. He "roughs" it a bit more in Sikalonga...their water pump has not been working for a while, so there is no running water! But for you who know Matthew, not taking a shower for a few days is not a sacrifice! He will do just fine :) Nathan Mays, one of the folks staying with the Thomas's showed Matthew a few homemade instruments that he bought from a choir that sang at the church there...a drum made from a pan and a shaker made from sheet metal. Matt's piano teacher (Mrs. Steindel) will be proud to know that Matthew has his eyes on purchasing some if he ever sees them!

On the way home from Sikalonga, I had some random thoughts, some questions, some facts, some observations....

- In the schools here, 40% is a passing grade.
- So many deaths here; each week we hear of people who have died. The day of the death, friends and relatives go to the house and remain there for a while, often overnight, taking blankets to sleep on the floor; in doing this they mourn with the family, cook and care for the children. I have been thinking of more about death since I have been here, and even more so with the recent death of little Livi. I realize that little Alivia would not have made it as long as she did if she lived here in Zambia. I am grateful for the medical help that we have in the States. I am also grateful that as a Christian, I do not have to fear death. Heaven will be so much better!
- People are always walking on the paths and on the streets. Where are they going? Where were they? Many carry suitcases...what's in them?? On the ride to and from Macha and Sikalonga, we saw people walking where there appeared to be nothing else nearby....How long have they been walking?
- I take electricity and running water for granted. So many live without it here.
- I often see women carrying huge loads on their heads...30 pound bags of maize, jugs of water that hold 2-3 gallons, loads of sticks....I have never seen a man carrying anything on his head....why not??

So many questions, and many don't have answers, but maybe after I am here longer, I will have a few answers. If I get any, I will let you know.

Thanks for the commnents...they are highlights of my day!! I love you all so much and although I miss family and friends, I am so grateful for this experience.

Leza Amulongezye!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good afternoon Beth,
I am sitting at my computer this beautiful Saturday afternoon working out some details for my neice's wedding which will take place July 21. Feeling the need to take a little break, I clicked on over to your blog to see if Sarah had posted anything new! You had! I check a couple times a day when I'm at work, hoping you will have sent in another post. I love reading about your Zambian experiences. Thanks for taking the time to record them for us.

We, too, are grieving with and praying for the Haugherys over the home-going of their precious little Livi. Even though we've never met her, we've fallen in love with her.
Little Cole got an extra long hug from his Grandy this morning as I've been freshly reminded that these little ones are truly a gift from the Lord - and their lives not to be taken for granted.

Know you are loved and missed...
Cathy

Amy said...

Hello Beth (and Matthew)!

I too want to thank you for updating us so often. This blog is now one of the blogs I check daily. It feels like you're not really that far away. Plus I love hearing what God is doing there.

Dan and I are enjoying our summer off. So far we vacationed at the Harpers home (while they went camping). We also went camping ourselves. This coming week we are taking grad courses before packing up for a week at the beach in Sandbridge, VA. I love the summer time break!

Keep posting! We'll see you soon.

Amy Eckel

Anonymous said...

Hi Beth and Matthew! :)
Just wanted to let you know I read your blog regularly (as I can with baby Lorelei!) and really enjoy your stories! What an amazing experience for both of you - especially Matt as a teenager - it must be life changing!
Thanks for sharing it with all of us!
Becky Weiman

Unknown said...

Beth,
Do the women carry things on their heads without using their hands for balance? Are both hands free to hold children or something else?

Inquiring minds want to know! :-)

Kathy Shaheen