Sunday, July 8, 2007

Church, More Friends and Goodbye for now ...

Today we drove to Sikalonga again, since Doug was the guest speaker at the morning service for the 700 secondary students. After some beautiful singing (which brought tears to my eyes once again!), Doug gave a good talk on "Finding Your Purpose in Life". Dr. Thomas and the folks serving there at Sikalonga, sang a few songs for the students, and to my surprise, when they got up, Matthew went up front with them. He was practicing with them while he was there the past few days and accompanied them on a Tonga Drum! One humorous moment was when they were singing in Tonga and evidently were pronouncing some of the words "differently"; the students laughed joyfully! They enjoyed hearing some Americans "trying" to sing their songs! Then Dr. Thomas called the Miller clan up to join them as we all sang "Great is Thy Faithfulness"...in English of course!

As we were getting ready to leave, someone asked us if we could take 2 girls to Choma. We certainly agreed. The next hour I had the privilege of chatting with these 2 girls on the way home. Let me tell you a bit about them...Emily is in 10th grade and Paradise is in 8th. Paradises brother died a week ago, and her grandmother died yesterday. She was going home for a double funeral. Her entire family were in a car accident recently, where one car tried to overtake another one, and they had to get out of the way,and when they did, the car fell into a big hole, and many of them suffered injuries. Miraculously, her 2 twin sisters, only 9 months old, were completely unharmed. But her brother and grandmother died from their injuries. Paradise asked Emily to accompany her because in Paradise's words, "She is such an encouragement to me and prays with me and I wanted her to be with me to help me keep my eyes on God and trust in Him." Emily led Paradise to the Lord this past year. They proceeded to tell me that Paradise was troubled with demons, and how after hours and hours of praying, she had been set free by the power of God. Paradise looked at me and said, "And I am finished with them. They have no place in my heart ever again. I am the Lord's and he has set me free to live for him!" As the conversation went to AIDS/HIV, I asked them what their values are in the area of purity, and I was so encouraged as they talked of their convictions to remain pure
and save themselves for their husband. They have talked to their friends about it, and are very bold in sharing the Gospel. It was a joy to talk with them, and so good to know that there are some young girls here who are shining examples for the Lord, even if they are in the minority.

In the late afternoon/early evening, Doug spoke again, but this time at the Choma Secondary School service, just a 10 minute walk from our home. He did a great job, sharing on spiritual gifts, particularly the gift of faith. There were close to 1000 students, and there was no amplification... Doug's voice was strong and clear, and he had their attention. It was obvious that the Lord was annoiting him, as he so effectively spoke, walking around, hardly looking at his notes. We were so proud of him! He also presented the school with some Messiah College soccer shirts, for their "football" teams. They were happy about that! We took it easy later in the evening and played a game of Outburst together.

You won't be hearing from me for a few days, since we will be going to Livingstone for a holiday. I will have lots to write about when we return on Wednesday, after visiting Victoria Falls and going on a Safari in a Game Park!

No comments: