Monday, July 30, 2007

Names


I mentioned in an earlier post how impressed I have been with my Dad's ability to remember names. Whether names of people, churches or towns, he is really amazing, especially when you consider some of the names here. My Dad showed me a list of 143 Brethren in Christ Churches, and about forty of them begin with the letter "M" and another 40 with the letter "S". The letters "C" and "K" account for about 20 each, so that leaves the remaining 20 for some others! And once you see some of them, you will be impressed to know that my Dad can pronounce most of them very well! I am slowly getting a few of them in my head, but then you add the names of the pastors to these churches....oh my, this gets very interesting!

Here is a sampling of some BIC churches here in Zambia:
Batoka, Bbombo, Bulebo, Busulubi, Chichinga, Chikanta, Chilala, Chilanga, Chinji, Chisikili, Hamoonde, Hamubbwatu, Hamushinka, Hamuvwanga, Macha, Mbabala, Mboole, Mbowe, Mochipapa, Mpinda, Mufurila, Munyeke, Munzuma, Muyanda, Mwapona, Mweebo, NAHUMBA, Nakeempa, Naluube, Ndola, Nenfwe, Shabulile, Shampande, Siamuleya, Siavonga, Sikalonga, Silukwiya, Simaubi

Here is a sampling of some last names of pastors:
Malawo, Muleya, Moono, Mweene, Mayoba, Mafelomale, Munkombwe, Munzyamba, Munsanje, Mwaalu, Malilwe, Mudenda, Mushanga, Muunga, Muzwanaiheni, Moyo, Munza, Munsaka, Muzelenga, Mwaanga, Munkombwe, Sizimbya, Soko, Sibalwa, Siamaubi, Samboko, Syatambika, Sikwangala, Sikalima, Siapola, Simunene, Kalulu, Hanguma, Haankwa, Hachinda, Haziyu, Chabakola, Cheelo, Chikashi, Choongo, Chidakwa

See what I mean? Now you can be impressed with my Dad, too! I often ask the people to spell their names; then I can pronounce them better!

We have also been intrigued by first names. Many names have significant meanings. For instance, Sibajene means "the Father was absent at birth." When families have a number of sons and then a daughter, or a number of daughters and then a son, that child is often named "Mutinta", which means "different than the others." If they have many of the same sex, they might name that child "Ncimunya", meaning "the same as." I met a husband and wife the other day who had 6-7 children. In English, their names would mean gift, love, joy, peace, faith, and hope. In Tonga, the names, respectively would be Chipego, Luyondo, Lukondo, Luumuno, Lushomo, and Lusyomo. Other first names we have heard are: Nevers, Memory, Luckness, Beauty, Longone, Honest, Innocent, Bright, Auditor, Given, Precious, Mercy, Fair, Fines,
Shaven, Prudence and Promise.

The other night my parents told us a funny story that took place during one of their other visits to Nahumba....one day there was a knock on the door. My mother answered and asked the man his name. My Mother thought he said that he wants to say hi to Dicky. Well, my mother thought this was odd, because no one called my dad "Dickie", and especially not the Zambians! Well, my mother went and told my Dad what he said and when my Dad came to greet the man, he knew right away what happened...his name was Hadinke!

They had a good laugh with that one! I have blotched up my share of names, so I can certainly understand the misunderstandings.

So, if you have lots of spare time on your hands, you can memorize the list of names above. Then again, if you are that bored, you need to come to Africa!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness, what a list of names. I truly am impressed if your Dad knows half of those.

Beth, I have really been enjoying reading your blog. It's so interesting. I'm sure you would'nt remember alot of the stuff to tell us when you get back, plus there wouldn't be enough time to tell everybody everything. So thanks for sharing your stories and experiences with us.

I have been trying to get Kirby and Kyle to write to Matt. They are as interested in writing as Matt is, apparently.

love, Jo

Miguel said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Miguel said...

This is awesome...