Saturday, July 21, 2007

Saturday at the Market and SPAR

Last evening we went to our monthly potluck dinner with 14 other missionaries of varying denominations, including Catholics, Baptists, Brethren in Christ, UCC and Pilgrim Wesleyan. Included in our group were folks from Ireland, England, Netherlands, Zambia, and the states. A highlight for me was opening up the songbook they had and immediately seeing Mark Altrogee's song, "I Stand in Awe". What a joy to realize that his songs are being sung by Christians in Africa! As we all sang from theis songbook, it was amazing how many of us knew the same songs! What a joy to be one in the Spirit! We enjoyed some good discussion on the topic of change, and how we all face many changes in our lives, but how grateful we are that in the midst of any change, it is so good to know that Jesus Christ remains the same yesterday, today and tomorrow. He will remain faithful no matter what change we face, and he will give us grace to walk through those changes with joy. It reminded me of a saying we have embraced in our church for many years..."Constant change is here to stay." Earlier in the week, my Dad led our "family of four" in a discussion about the changes we are experiencing. He and my Mother are used to living alone. Now they have their daughter and 15 year old grandson doing life with them, which sure makes life interesting to say the least! Matthew and I are used to living with Ken, but he's not here, and instead we get to live with my parents. And we all get to learn from these dear Zambians who live differently from us, yet in so many ways, are very much like us. One of the women in the group was recently diagnosed with Poly-cystic Kidney and Liver Disease, the same disease my dear friend Kathy from home suffers with. She chose a song that was new to some of us, but the words ministered to me and brought tears to my eyes...
I do not know what lies ahead;
The way I cannot see.
Yet One stands near to be my guide;
He'll show the way to me.

Chorus:
I know who holds the future,
And He'll guide me with His hand;
With God things don't just happen,
Everything by Him is planned.
So as I face tomorrow,
With its problems large and small.
I'll trust the God of miracles,
Give to Him my all.

I do not know how many days
Of life are mine to spend;
But One who knows and cares for me
Will keep me to the end.

I do not know the course ahead;
What joys and griefs are there;
But One is near who fully knows;
I'll trust His loving care.

by Alfred B. Smith and Eugene Clarke
(Inspiration Music/Brentwood Benson Music Publishing Co.)

Not much was planned for today, so Mother, Emma and I decided to walk to town. I still am amazed how many people walk in this town. People everywhere! It was another beautiful Zambian day, with the sun shining in the clear blue sky, and temperatures in the mid 70's. We left at 10:30 and didn't return till 16:30. (Yep, I said 16:30 - I figured since I have to figure out these times over here, you should too!) Add them up, that means we were gone for 6 hours. We walked and walked, taking our time going through the open market. What an experience! Shops after shops, under grass roofs, with people selling mostly clothes, but also dishes, and food. Each shop might only be a 12 foot square, but people were everywhere, mostly walking and talking, but I suppose some were buying! Then on the way home, I watched in amazement as Emma placed her plastic basket upon her head,which held 4 bottles of oil and other goods she or Mother had purchased. I had her stop and turn around ... this was a kodak moment! As Mother and I are shaking our heads with questions of, "How can you do that?", she humbly toldus that it's just like putting a little cap on your head! Then she took off in a little run, showing us that she can pick up the pace! That basket stayed balanced on her head like there was nothing to it! I htink I am too old to learn how to do that. Emma told us that as soon as little girls learn to walk, they practice putting baskets on their heads. We have seen some young girls carry some very big loads on their heads. Periodically, we have seen young children carry their younger siblings on their backs, snuggled in a colorful chitangi.

The three of us had a fun day, laughing together like old friends, and were glad to get to the toilet upon our return! Speaking of the toilet, if it seems strange using that word, then you need to come to Zambia ... My Mother asked someone where the restroom was today, and the lady said she didn't know what she was talking about. Then remembering where she was, my Mother asked where the toilet was. Immediately the lady told her where to go! I must admit, it's hard to ask where the toilet is without a grin on my face!

My Dad walked to town today to visit the bank .. oops ... they are only open the first and last Saturdays of the month!

Yesterday was a big day in Choma! A few months ago, the only grocery store in town shut down and that left only little markets about the size of my kitchen with very limited inventory. But yesterday a new grocery store, called SPAR, opened! Oh, was it packed that first day; I think everyone must have been saving up their Kwacha for opening day! The next day wasn't nearly as full, although there were many people just walking around inside not buying anything. Given told us that many people just like to go and push the trolleys (shopping carts!) around, even if they don't buy anything! I will have to look for people like that at GIANT when I return! Oh, it's so nice to not be in a hurry. Already, I have a feeling I will have a similar experience that my parents did, in that they had more of a culture shock upon returning home than upon arriving in Africa. The fast pace life is not something I miss!

Still working on Matt's post; thanks for encouraging him!

Leza Amulongezye - Beth

No comments: