Sunday, July 1, 2007

Church, Close Friends ... and Another Trip to Lusaka

As long as I can remember, I love Sundays. I love them back home, because I love Living Hope Church and love to worship with my church family and hear my favorite pastor preach (yes, I miss my dear husband sooo much!). I love Sundays here in Zambia, because I love to worship with these Zambians who love the Lord and I really love their singing. Although I love their Tonga singing, it's a special treat when they sing some songs in English. Today I was able to join them whole heartedly as we sang "I Will Enter His Gates With Thanksgiving in My Heart" and "There is Power, Power, Wonder-working Power in the Blood!" Many of the songs they sing in Tonga are in a little book, so we are able to sing along, trying to figure out how to pronounce the words :)

Today we were all planning to walk about 30 minutes to another church, since all the men from Nahumba BIC were at a men's conference. We started out, but after a minute, it was clear that Mother's knee was not going to make the hike, so she and I stayed back and went to Nahumba BIC, while the other 6 went to Shampandi BIC. It was quite different not having men there. I don't think I mentioned this before, but at Nahumba BIC, the men sit on the right and the women sit on the left, with the young children in front and us older folks in the back. Well, needless to say, we were a bit lop-sided this morning, with no men over the age of 13 there! The women led the meeting, and the singing was beautiful like always.

This afternoon, we had the privilege of going to Bishop Enoch and Lastina Shamapani's home. What a wonderful couple they are! They are very dear friends of my parents, and a number of years ago, my parents took some of the money we all would have received for Christmas gifts and instead, put it towards windows for Shamapani's home. It was great to see their home in person, and it was inspiring to see their love for the Saviour as they talked of how the Lord has blessed them. I look forward to more times with Lastina. She has such a sweet spirit.

After countless phone calls that availed to nothing, another trip to the airport is necessary to pick up the 7 pieces of luggage. Around 5:00 Monday morning, Given will drive my brother Doug and my Dad to the airport in Lusaka to get the luggage. It is a four hour trip on some difficult roads, so please pray for them as they drive, and that they find everything safe and sound. Doug, Dar, Mindy and Brent have done so well these 2 days without any of their luggage, but they will surely rejoice when they have it!

It's wonderful having part of my family here - at just about every meal, my Mother says she just can't believe so many of her family are sitting around the table in her home in Zambia! By the way, she is recovering from her fall, but her knee is stiff and her left thumb is sore, so she is taking it easy. She's a trooper though; we are all grateful that is wasn't worse.

Random thoughts.....I love to wave to the little children in the streets and see their bright smiles....Any trip we take whether by car or on foot, we always see lots of people - that's really different, and I like it....I am very grateful that Matthew has adjusted so well; he is looking forward to joining his friends in Sikalonga again at the end of the week...Yesterday was a special day because I was able to talk to my husband free via SKYPE...sweet :)

Family and friends are in my thoughts often and I miss you dearly, but God has been so faithful, continually pouring out his abundant grace to us here.

"Worthy are you, our Lord and our God, to receive glory and power; for You created all things, and because of Your will they existed and were created." - Revelation 4:11

Blessings from afar -

Leza amulongezye!

No comments: