Thursday, August 16, 2007

Back to Good Health


So glad to report that both of my parents have recovered from the virus. It was wonderful having Mother back in the kitchen today and seeing her stronger again. Today I helped Emma's son, David, with his math, but I sure could have used the expert assistance of my son Ryan (an 8th grade math teacher!). I got a little stuck with some of the formulas he is working with, but I kept his notebook overnight and figured most of it out so I am more ready to help him tomorrow. What I don't understand, I will hand over to Ken when he gets here! David is also going to bring his English over and I will help him with some of that as well. He is in grade 11, and he only has notebooks that he writes in; no text books. No wonder so many have a hard time getting good grades.

In case I didn't mention it, schools are off for the month of August. They go year round, but have breaks in April, August and December. To pass, the student must have above 40%. Many of them are struggling to get that. Often their parents have not gone to school, and are unable to help them. In order to get extra help at school, teachers typically charge something exta, and so many cannot afford that, so many are not helped.

Uncle Doug and Brent painting at Nahumba basic school


Aunt Dar and Mindy painting at Nahumba basic school


In a conversation with a teacher the other day, he told me of a student who slept all morning during his class. Upon inquiring with the student, he found out that the boy had eaten breakfast the day before, but had no lunch, dinner or breakfast that day, because his family had no food. He looked at the teacher and said, "I'm just sooo hungry, I can't stay awake." The teacher took him to his house and gave him some food, which was quite a sacrifice and act of love, considering the meager pay teachers get. He continued to tell me how God provided for his own family after they gave to this student. I am continually amazed at how the people here have so little and are so content. They do not complain. We regularly hear stories of
God's faithful provision for them. There are so many things we are learning.

Well, it's midnight here on Thursday, so that means only 5 more days, folks! The 10 week separation from my dear husbnad is actually coming to an end and I am so happy I could cry! (Anyone that knows me knows that isn't an exaggeration! If I think too long about him, the tears actually do come!)

But thanks be to God, who always leads us in the way we should go, and gives us grace for each moment of the way.

No comments: