Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Getting Better and Children's Hour

I am happy to report that Ken is feeling better! He is getting his strength back and only feels congested in his head, not his chest. It could be a case of the 3 D's...dust, dirt and dryness. What a nice scene today...he and Dad just left for a walk to town. I'm so glad they can spend some time together. Up till now, Ken just didn't have the energy to do much.

Mother and I had a great turnout of 20 children yesterday morning for our "Children's Bible Hour". The ages ranged from 2-14. What a joy to see them
sing, smile and listen as we shared the good news of the Gospel. They also colored some pictures, which all ages enjoyed very much. It went so well, and the children were very well behaved. We had no problems at all, and they were all so polite and attentive. Later that day, we had the opportunity to commend some of the parents on the excellent job they are doing with their children, evidenced by their wonderful behavior and attentivness. They will come again this morning for an hour.

Last evening, Moses and Noria Munsaka, and 2 of their children came to our home for dinner and we had a good time fellowshipping together. It was nice for Ken to meet them. Moses does evangelistic work in the area by conducting crusades. They shared a disappointing story with us...They have been hoping to start a candle making business for extra income, and upon going to Zimbabwe for a crusade, the folks there wanted to know how they could best pay Moses and Noria for the work they did during the crusade. Moses mentioned their desire for a candle making machine, and the people generously gave one to them in appreciation of their ministry. However,
upon leaving Zimbabwe to return to Zambia, the machine was held at the border, and they were made to pay $200 in order to bring it into Zambia. Obviously, they do not have that kind of money. They were given a form to bring back with the money to get the machine. Please pray the money will be provided and that the machine will indeed be there when they return for it. This is just a taste of what is happening in that country - it is sad.

Yesterday afternoon, Mother and I went to Pastor Choongo's home and visited with him and his wife. They have 7 children, and I have really enjoyed getting to know them. With the exception of their firstborn, all of their children came to the Bible hour in the morning. We took them some clothing. I didn't have any dresses for their little girls, so I am going to buy a few for them sometime during the next few weeks, maybe when we are in Livingstone. People are so appreciative for anything they receive. Again, I marvel at the contentment and joy they have, despite having so little. I have so much to learn from them.

The children will soon be returning to school. August was their holiday, but next week they will return to school. Next week we hope to take a few trips, so Ken can see some of the surrounding towns.

Oh, by the way, I think I forgot to mention that everything went wonderful with immigration. The new officer they have is so cooperative and friendly. It was nothing like what we expected! My dad will be traveling with a few other folks to Lusaka on Friday to pick up his work permit....better late than never! At least he will have it for his final month here.. sometimes the wheel turns slowly around here. But oh, I love it...the fast pace of home might be an adjustment for me after 15 weeks of a relaxed pace! But my heart is longing for home - I miss my family, friends and home church greatly :)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

And we miss you, my dear friend! There is not a day that goes by that you are not on my mind and in my prayers; that God would continue to keep you in the palm of His great and loving hand and that the steps He has ordered for you would be pleasant ones. Indeed He is your portion and the strength of your heart! In this amazing truth I hear you rejoicing daily.

love you,
cathy

Anonymous said...

What wonderful news, Beth, that Ken is finally getting better and is now able to begin to get a taste of the life you have come to love so dearly in the past months. We'll continue to pray for total healing and renewed energy. It's so obvious that Zambian live agrees with you -- so glad you're coming home, though :) I remember well the "culture shock" when I returned after 5 weeks -- it took me awhile to shift gears into the busyness of our lives and I'll be praying for you as you adjust after 3+ months away! Your heart will forever "tug" for the people of Zambia, dear sister, and the experiences of your months there will have a lasting impact on you. Even though you have been so greatly missed, I know you're where God wanted you to be these months. You have placed a lasting heartprint on the lives of so many people in Zambia -- it's been a joy to share you with them so that they were able to experience a bit of what we get to experience all the time by having you in OUR lives.

Love you so very much,
Deb

Anonymous said...

Harper's just checking in to see how everyone is doing...