Sunday, August 12, 2007

Sunday at Mwapona BIC

My dad has been trying to expose me to various churches here, so today we visited a different one in Mwapona, not too far from here. It is the middle of many villages and is a growing church. The message was given by a student who is presently at Sikalongo Bible Institute and he spoke on John 15 - Jesus is the vine and we are the branches. They interpreted the message just for us, so we would not be left out!

When my parents were here in 1989, there was not a church in Mwapona. Someone had a burden to plant a church and they were able to use some materials that were stored here at Nahumba mission for the church building. The last time my parents were here, one wall of the church was grass. Today, the entire structure is up and now they are in the midst of building a larger one, because they pack it out! The congregation gathers regularly to make bricks, and all around the present building is a dirt trench, where they plan to build the larger one. When they get the basic structure up, they will tear down the existing one and use the materials from the old one for the new one. When you realize how little these folks make, and how little they live on, it is amazing to see the work that is already done. Piles of new bricks were in the areas surrounding the church. It was obvious that these people are committed to serving and sacrificing to build the kingdom of God in their village. There were many children in this church; at least 40 under the age of 12. Our hearts were saddened as we met the man (a former pastor who is presently unemployed) who lost his wife shortly after we arrived. I think I referred to the situation in an earlier post. He is left with 7 children. We just don't understand how people make it in situations like this. His name is Daniel, so say a prayer for him if you think of him and his 7 children.

The nights are still a bit cool here. I am surprised that I am still sleeping in my flannel PJs with many covers, but some of that might change when I soon have someone to keep me warm :)

The days are beautiful, just like every day we have been here. I have heard it is hazy, hot and humid back home. It will be nice coming from one cool season to another cool season...that suits me just fine, since fall is one of my favorite seasons!

God has been so faithful in keeping us healthy and feeling great physically. I think my body agrees with this African weather!

Matthew is doing well, but is missing his dad, family, friends and his bed! I am proud of how he is relating to the people here. He is growing in being respectful and I always enjoy seeing him look people straight in the eye, with his winsome smile, as he gives a manly handshake to those he greets. I see him growing up before my eyes. We are thoroughly enjoying the book on relationships; I'm so glad I brought it along. It is a special time we have together each day as we read and discuss the chapters, applying it to our lives.

Tomorrow is a very special day...more about that when tomorrow comes!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Happy Anniversary Mimi/Mom,
We are thinking of you today and thanking God for your marriage to Dad and your example as a wife!

We are about to head-out for pizza to kick off our family night tonight.

Ryle and Ben are here on my lap and send their hugs and kisses.

Miss you and love you,
Jared, Meg, Ryle, and Ben