Wednesday, August 1, 2007

Money ... Buying and Giving


In the States, homes cost about 10 times the cost of a car. Not so in Zambia. Cars cost very similar here, about $20,000. However, to buy a plot of land and build a very simple, modest home, it would cost about $20,000 to build. Thus, most people do not have cars. Remember, the average person makes $1.00 per day here.

Many people ask for money, and it is so hard to know who and when to help. More than once, my parents have helped individuals only to find out later they did not use it for the intended purpose, and were taken advantage of or lied to. It's the exception, but it happens. Dishonesty is such a great temptation when resources are slim. I sure have a hard time not giving to everyone, but my Dad has helped me understand that it's ok to say "no". They can accept that, and do not hold it against you. People you don't even know might ask for money. Some children ask for biscuits that come to the house. I always want to say yes, but I found out the other day, that it would be best if I kindly refuse, because these particular children were supposed to be in a nearby school, and should not have been at our home
playing. If I continue to give treats to them, I will be encouraging them to come back, when they should be in school. Oh, I need wisdom and discernment. I have found that often the ones who ask, are not where they should be! The ones that don't ask, are the ones to give to.

We love to give things to the children here! The majority do not ask, and they are a pleasure to give to! The children always hold out their hands when receiving a gift; they never take it from your hand. I love it! They are very respectful and appreciative. Many of the women also have a custom of a small curtsy when greeting you...simply bending at the knees slightly; again, it speaks of respect and honor. It makes me think of how I can grow in showing honor and respect to others.

No comments: